3/31/13

Appalachian Trail, March 23, 2013



Reported by John Shannon

After the March snowfall that brought down many trees and limbs in central Virginia, I wondered how many trees had fallen or broken along the Appalachian Trail, so with Skyline Drive open, I decided to do my third post-storm inspection with light clearing trip in the last 12 months. Pete Fink generously ferried me from Rockfish to McCormick Gap.

Pete’s prediction of little damage on this section of trail proved correct. I found a few small branches, then a broken treetop hanging over the trail with a dead tree leaning against it. I cut some small branches off to tidy the area and make it easier to walk through. Until the large branches fall to ground, we cannot remove them from the trail. The other tree on the trail was one I started cutting last fall. As expected, after completing the cut, I could not move the tree off the trail.

The only major damage from
March snow but too
complex for volunteers to clear
I spent some time what some might call manicuring the trail by removing little branches that will soon grow into the trail. Closer to McCormick Gap, to improve the appearance of the trail, I cut some small branches on some of the trees which which we removed from the trail after last summer’s derecho. The standard trail maintainer’s Christmas present of large loppers helped with this task.

Seeing all the fallen trees that had been previously cleared by Don Davis and Andy Willgruber after the derecho makes one appreciate just how much work the two chainsaw experts did.
I also noted some areas where treadwork is desirable to slow future erosion—work that needs dryer weather and a McLeod to accomplish. Lastly, in preparation for spring, I thinned garlic mustard and bittersweet in a couple of spots.

Some of the many trees from the
derecho
The big one from 2012 Derecho.
Cutting this gap took three trips

No comments:

Post a Comment